![]() |
| The Woman Before Me |
Seven months into her marriage, Trisha still struggles to find her place in a family shaped by the memory of the woman who came before her. But when she discovers Simone’s journal in the attic, she finds something she never expected—prayers written for a woman Simone would never meet. Scroll down to let the story speak to you.
Trisha Bennett had been married for seven months when she finally stopped pretending the attic didn’t bother her.
It wasn’t the dust or the boxes stacked beneath the sloping roof of the old colonial house. It was what the boxes represented.
A life that had existed before hers.
“Most of it is just things I never got around to sorting,” her husband, Jonah, had told her more than once.
Trisha always nodded.
She understood.
At least, she tried to.
Jonah had been married to his first wife, Simone, for eleven years before cancer took her. Their daughter, Brianna, had been eight years old when her mother died.
Now Brianna was twelve.
Old enough to remember everything.
Old enough to compare.
Trisha knew Brianna liked her. They cooked together sometimes. Watched baking shows on Friday nights. Brianna even asked Trisha to help with her hair when Jonah proved incapable of producing anything more complicated than a crooked ponytail.
But there were moments.
“Mom used to put cinnamon in hers.”
“Mom always let me stay up on Christmas Eve.”
“That was Mom’s favorite song.”
None of it was cruel.
That almost made it harder.
Trisha sometimes felt as though she had entered a play after intermission and everyone else already knew the first act.
One Saturday afternoon, Jonah stood beneath the attic door holding the pull-down ladder.
“You sure you want to tackle this today?”
“If we wait for you to be ready, these boxes will qualify for Social Security.”
Jonah laughed.
“Fair enough.”
Brianna was spending the afternoon with a friend, so they worked together, sorting old tax papers, Christmas decorations, baby clothes, and forgotten household items.
Then Jonah’s phone rang.
He glanced at the screen. “It’s work. I need to take this.”
“Go ahead. I’ll keep sorting.”
He kissed her forehead and climbed downstairs.
Trisha opened another box.
Inside were several folded sweaters, a small jewelry case, two framed photographs, and a Bible with a faded burgundy cover.
Her hands stopped.
These were Simone’s things.
Trisha should have closed the box.
Instead, she gently lifted the Bible.
A photograph slipped from between its pages.
Jonah and Simone stood together outside a hospital, smiling into the camera. Simone wore a scarf around her head. Jonah had one arm around her shoulders.
Between them stood a much younger Brianna, missing her two front teeth.
Trisha swallowed.
She placed the photograph back.
Beneath the Bible was a blue clothbound journal.
She hesitated before opening it.
The first page simply read:
Simone Bennett
Trisha almost put it away.
Almost.
Then she noticed several dates from Simone’s final year.
Her eyes fell on one entry.
Brianna asked me today if Daddy will ever get married again.
Trisha froze.
She sat back on her heels.
I told her I hope so.
Trisha read the sentence twice.
That answer surprised her. Maybe it surprised me too.
The attic suddenly felt very quiet.
I don’t want Jonah to spend the rest of his life mourning me. And I don’t want Brianna growing up believing that loving someone new means loving me less.
Trisha’s throat tightened.
She turned the page.
Another entry had been written several weeks later.
I prayed for her today.
Trisha frowned.
The woman I may never meet.
Her breath caught.
Lord, if You bring someone into Jonah’s life someday, please give her patience. Loving a man with a grieving child will not be easy.
Trisha lowered the journal.
For seven months, she had wrestled with a woman who wasn’t there.
She had felt jealous of photographs she couldn’t compete with, memories she couldn’t share, traditions she hadn’t created.
And Simone had prayed for her.
Not Trisha by name.
But her.
She continued reading.
Brianna may have a hard time accepting her at first. She may worry that making room for someone new means letting go of me. I pray the woman understands that and gives her time.
Trisha covered her mouth.
Just three nights earlier, Brianna had refused Trisha’s macaroni and cheese after one bite.
“My mom baked hers,” she had said.
Trisha had smiled and said it was fine.
Then she had gone upstairs and cried.
She had thought Brianna was rejecting her.
Now she wondered if the little girl had simply been protecting something precious.
The attic stairs creaked, and Jonah appeared.
“Everything okay?”
Trisha quickly wiped her cheek. His eyes fell on the journal.
“I didn’t know that was in there.”
“I’m sorry,” Trisha whispered. “I shouldn’t have read it.”
Jonah sat beside her. “She wrote a lot during that last year.”
“Did you read it?”
“No.” He shook his head. “She told me some things were between her and God.”
Trisha looked down.
“Then maybe I really shouldn’t—”
Jonah placed his hand over hers.
“Maybe those were words you needed to hear.”
That evening, after Jonah went to bed, Trisha returned to the attic.
She wanted to read one last entry.
Near the back, several pages had been left blank. The final written entry was dated three weeks before Simone died.
Her handwriting was shakier.
I worry about Brianna.
Trisha sat beneath the single attic bulb and kept reading.
Not because I think Jonah won’t love her enough. He will. But a father cannot teach his daughter everything a woman can.
So I prayed again for the woman who may come after me.
Tears blurred the page.
I pray she understands that she does not have to become me.
Trisha stopped.
The words seemed almost directed at her.
She will have her own ways, her own traditions, and her own place in Brianna’s heart.
Trisha smiled through her tears.
Please, Lord, don’t let her feel threatened by my memory. Let my memory make room for her instead.
Trisha pressed her hand against her chest.
Then she read the final lines.
If Brianna ever makes room in her heart for a stepmother, I pray that woman will love her with grace.
And when Brianna talks about me, I hope she listens.
Love doesn’t have to erase what came before.
Sometimes love is simply what carries it forward.
Trisha closed the journal.
For several minutes, she sat without moving.
Then she bowed her head.
“Lord,” she whispered, “forgive me for trying to compete with someone You never asked me to replace.”
The following Saturday morning, Brianna wandered into the kitchen wearing fuzzy slippers and an oversized sweatshirt.
“What are you making?”
“French toast.”
Brianna climbed onto a stool.
“My mom used to—”
“Put cinnamon in hers?” Trisha asked.
Brianna blinked. “You remembered?”
Trisha smiled. “I remembered.”
She set the cinnamon on the counter.
“Show me how much.”
Brianna stared at her.
“You want to make it like Mom did?”
“I want to know how your mom made it.”
Something changed in Brianna’s face.
Not sadness.
Relief.
She climbed down from the stool and took the cinnamon.
“She used a lot.”
Trisha laughed. “Then we’re going to need more bread.”
Brianna smiled.
They spent the morning cooking together.
Brianna told stories Trisha had heard before, only this time Trisha didn’t quietly measure herself against them.
She listened.
Really listened.
Brianna shared little things about her mother, including the coffee mugs she collected from places she had never visited. Later, she brought one downstairs.
It read Savannah across the front.
“This was Mom’s favorite.”
Trisha poured her coffee into it.
“Then I’ll take good care of it.”
Brianna hugged her.
The embrace lasted only a few seconds.
But something inside Trisha finally settled.
That night, she carried Simone’s journal downstairs and gave it to Jonah.
“I think Brianna should have this someday.”
Jonah looked at the journal and then at his wife.
“You okay?”
Trisha nodded.
“I think I finally understand something.”
“What?”
She looked toward the kitchen, where Brianna was laughing at something on television.
“I kept thinking I came into this family after Simone.”
Jonah waited.
Trisha smiled.
“But maybe that isn’t the way God sees it.”
She placed the journal in his hands.
“Maybe she helped prepare this family for me.”
Jonah’s eyes filled.
He reached for her hand.
Sometimes love reaches ahead of us through prayers whispered in rooms we never entered, through words written before our names were known, and through grace waiting quietly to be discovered.
🕊️ An Echoes of Faith Story
Love leaves a legacy—even through the ones we never meet.
Enjoy more heartfelt stories from the Echoes of Faith collection—each one crafted to uplift, inspire, and reflect God's presence in everyday life. Read more stories »
☕ If our devotionals and stories have blessed your heart, you can treat us to a cup of coffee through PayPal or visit the Faithfully Encourage Shop for notebooks, mugs, and candles inspired by everyday faith.

No comments:
Post a Comment