Bible Verse Of The Day

July 19, 2026

Echoes of Faith| The Peace She Found| Short Fiction

 

 

The Peace She Found


After years of bitterness, Danny agrees to one final visit with the husband who shattered her family. What she discovers is that forgiveness isn't about changing the past—it's about finding peace for the future. Scroll down to let the story speak to you.



Danny Boswell carried two grocery bags through her mother's back door and set them on the kitchen table. Her mother had been mostly housebound since breaking her toe last month.


"I brought your favorite peach preserves." She smiled.


Her mother returned the smile. "You always remember."


"I try."


For a few minutes, they spoke of the neighbors, the new pastor at church, and the stubborn garden that had yielded everything but tomatoes this season.


Then her mother asked, almost as an afterthought, "Have you heard about Mackie?" Her eyes stayed on her tea as she stirred it.


Danny froze.


The name hadn't crossed her ears in ten years, not since the papers were signed.


"What about him?"


Her mother's smile faded.


"I heard he's sick."


Danny looked over at her mother.


"Who told you?"


"Miss Evelyn, from church. Her daughter's a nurse over at the rehab facility they moved him to. Says he isn't doing well.”


Danny busied herself unpacking groceries.


"Well...that's unfortunate."


Her mother watched her quietly.


"I heard she left him," her mother said, eyes still on her tea. "Once the money ran out." She set down her spoon. "He's all alone, Danny."


Danny stopped folding the grocery sack.


"I don't know what you expect me to do with that information."


"I wasn't expecting anything."


"Then what is it you want me to do?" Danny set down the can she was holding. "You know I stopped caring about Mackie a long time ago.”


Her mother stirred the tea.


"He's still the father of your children, Danny. Nothing will ever change that."


Danny shook her head.


"It couldn't have happened to a better person."


The room fell silent.


"Danielle Boswell..." her mother said.


Danny knew that tone.


"I raised you better than that."


"He left me for a girl twenty-two years old," Danny said.


"I know it, Danny." Her mother wrapped both hands around her mug. "That was ten years ago.”


"After everything he put me and those kids through?" Danny said. "Not a chance.”


Danny grabbed her purse off the counter and went out the back door.


Danny slammed the car door harder than she intended. Her fingers tightened around the steering wheel until her knuckles turned white. She blamed the trembling in her hands on anger. It certainly wasn't grief.


As she drove away, Danny made herself a promise. She would not visit Mackie. Some chapters were better left closed.


***


Three days later, she stopped at the grocery store after work. As she reached for a loaf of bread, a woman smiled politely.


"Mrs. Boswell?"


Danny looked up.


"I'm sorry," the woman said. "You probably don't remember me. I'm Karen Whitfield... Miss Evelyn's daughter."


Danny nodded.


"The nurse?"


Karen smiled. "That's right."


They exchanged a few pleasantries before an awkward silence settled between them.


"I hope you don't mind me asking," Karen said carefully, " You were married to Roberto Mackland?"


Danny hesitated.


"Yes.”


Karen's expression softened.


"I thought so."


Danny shifted the basket in her hand.


"How is he?"


Karen let out a slow breath.


"Not very well."


Danny nodded.


"The cancer has spread. He's comfortable most days.” Karen paused. " But he's receiving hospice care now."


Danny looked toward the checkout lanes.


"I see."


Karen almost walked away before quietly adding,


"I probably shouldn't tell you this... but he watches the hallway every afternoon. I think he's hoping someone will come. No one ever does."


For a long moment, neither woman spoke.


Finally, Karen reached for her shopping cart.


"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."


"You didn't."


But Danny wasn't sure she believed her own words.


That evening, Danny sat at the kitchen table while her son and daughter finished dinner.


She pushed her food around the plate before finally saying,


"I need to tell you both something. It's about your father. He's very sick. Cancer."


The room fell silent.


"They've moved him into a rehabilitation facility, but he’s under hospice care. He doesn’t have much time left."


Her daughter slowly lowered her fork.


A long silence settled over the table.


Finally, her son looked at his sister before turning back to his mother.


"Can we go see him?"


Danny closed her eyes.


She had known that question was coming. She nodded.


***


The next morning, Danny parked outside the rehab facility but never reached for the door handle.


"I'll wait here," she said quietly.


The children climbed out without arguing.


Her mother adjusted the walking boot on her foot before opening the door.


"You’re not coming?" she asked.


Danny stared through the windshield.


"This visit is for the children."


Her mother studied her for a moment.


"No, sweetheart." She smiled gently. "This visit is for you too."


Danny looked away. "I'm not ready."


Her mother rested a hand on the car door.


"Then stay as long as you need."


She closed the door and slowly followed the children toward the entrance.


Danny remained behind, her hands resting on the steering wheel.


She watched families coming and going.


An elderly husband pushing his wife's wheelchair.


A little girl carrying balloons.


A son helping his father through the automatic doors.


That's when she remembered...


Not the affair.


Not the divorce.


But Mackie laughing as he pushed their son on a swing.


Or carrying their daughter asleep on his shoulder after church.


He hadn't always been the man who betrayed her.


Then the entrance doors opened. Her children were waving.


Danny stepped from the car. She didn't remember deciding to move, only that her feet carried her toward the doors, her children waving, her mother quietly smiling.


The automatic doors parted. Cool air, antiseptic smell, the hush of a building where people came to wait for endings.


"Mom." Jacob caught her arm. "He's in room 417. We can show you-"


"I'll find it." Her voice sounded strange in her own ears. "You two wait with Grandma."


Mia started to protest. Danny shook her head once, and something in her face stopped them both.


She walked past the nurses' station where Karen looked up, nodded once, and looked away. She passed open doors, glimpses of other people's endings. Room 417. The door was closed.


She stepped inside and closed the door.


Mackie lay propped on pillows, eyes closed, the sheet rising and falling with shallow breaths. He had shrunk to bones and yellow skin.


His eyes opened. They found her immediately.


"Danny." A whisper, barely audible.


"I asked for everyone." A rough laugh that turned into coughing. "You're the only one who came."


She stepped inside. Closed the door behind her. The room was small. No flowers, no cards.


"Deborah left," Danny said. Not a question.


"Six months ago." His eyes closed again. "When the diagnosis got real. When the money ran out." Another cough, wet and rattling.


Danny stood at the foot of the bed. "You left us for her.”


"I know." His eyes were wet, "I’m sorry, Danny. For everything.”


She looked at this man who had once seemed so large in her life, now small and fading. She felt something shift. The absence of the old hurt.


"I forgive you," she said. "Not because you need to hear it. Because I don't need to hold it anymore."


She sat with him for ten minutes. Then she stood, walked out, took her children home.


"Let's go home," she said.

***


In the car, her daughter reached for her hand. "Are you okay, Mom?"


Danny looked at her children in the rearview mirror. The children she had raised alone. The children who were still whole, still hopeful, still capable of wanting to see their father.


"I am now," she said.


She drove home without anger gripping the steering wheel. For the first time in ten years, she thought of Mackie and felt something she hadn't expected.


Peace.


🕊️ An Echoes of Faith Story
The hardest person to set free is often ourselves.

Discover More:

Note: The story above is a work of fiction created for inspirational purposes. Any resemblance to actual individuals or events is purely coincidental.

Enjoy more heartfelt stories from the Echoes of Faith collection—each one crafted to uplift, inspire, and reflect God's presence in everyday life. Read more stories »

☕ If our devotionals and stories have blessed your heart, you can treat us to a cup of coffee through PayPal or visit the Faithfully Encourage Shop for notebooks, mugs, and candles inspired by everyday faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment