Bible Verse Of The Day

July 19, 2026

Echoes of Faith| When the Knock Came| Short Fiction

 

 

When the Knock Came


When Tanya disappears for five days, seventeen-year-old June does everything she can to keep her younger brother and sister together, fearing one knock at the door could tear their family apart forever. But sometimes the answer to our deepest fears arrives in the most unexpected way—and through the ordinary people God places in our path. Scroll down to let the story speak to you.


June cracked the last two eggs into the skillet and glanced at the calendar taped to the refrigerator.

Five days.

Five mornings since Tanya had walked out with a promise to be back before dinner.

"Mom still not home?" Eli asked from the kitchen doorway, his small voice careful and thin.

June kept her eyes on the skillet. "Not yet."

Seven-year-old Ava sat at the table, legs swinging. "It's been forever."

"I know."

June flipped the egg in the pan a little too hard. It landed with a soft slap. Her phone lay beside the stove, the screen filled with unanswered calls and unread texts she'd sent over the past five days. Tanya had been doing so well lately—church on Sundays, meetings during the week, even a few hopeful conversations with the pastor and the women from Grace Fellowship. But now she was gone, and June had that tight, sick feeling in her stomach that told her trouble was close.

She scraped the eggs onto three plates and tried to smile. “Eat before school.”

Eli climbed onto the chair slowly. “What if they come?”

June froze.

No one had to say who they were. The social worker. The system. Foster care.

“We’re not there yet,” June said.

“But what if we are?”

June squeezed Eli's hand. "We're going to get through this." 

That seemed to be the best she could promise.

Then there was a knock at the door.

June opened it and found Mrs. Alvarez standing in the hallway with a casserole dish and a paper bag tucked under one arm.

“I brought breakfast,” she said gently. “And coffee for the grown-ups. Which, in this case, seems to mean me.”

June stepped aside. “How did you know?”

Mrs. Alvarez gave her a careful look. "You've been carrying this family for five days. I figured you could use both." 

June swallowed. “She’s not here.”

Mrs. Alvarez nodded once, as if she’d expected that answer. Then her gaze moved to the children. "Any word from your mother?" 

June shook her head. “Nothing.”

Mrs. Alvarez set the casserole on the counter. "Five days..." She let out a slow breath. "I was hoping she'd come home before it came to this. The women from Grace Fellowship have been praying with your mother for months." 

June frowned. "What do you mean?" 

The older woman took off her glasses and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "Someone reported that the children have been left alone.  I called Ms. Daniels from social services this morning.”

“No.” June’s voice came out sharp enough to surprise even herself. “Why did you do that?”

Mrs. Alvarez looked at her kindly but did not back down. “Sweetheart— it’s been five days.”

“They’ll take us,” June whispered.

“No.” Mrs. Alvarez’s voice was firm. “You cannot stay alone." 

 “You don’t understand.”

Mrs. Alvarez stepped closer. “Try me.”

June looked at her brother and sister, both pretending they weren’t afraid. Then she turned away and whispered, “They’ll split us up.”

Mrs. Alvarez’s expression changed. Softened.

“We’re going to do this another way.”

June blinked back tears. “What does that mean?”

“It means I’m also calling Pastor Reed, and  Mrs. Patel from the church care team.”

June let out a shaky breath. “I don’t want strangers deciding what happens to us.”

Mrs. Alvarez reached for her hand. “Then let people who care decide.”

June did not answer. She didn’t trust herself to speak.

While Mrs. Alvarez made the calls, June sat at the kitchen table with Eli, and Ava tucked close on either side of her. 

When Mrs. Alvarez ended the phone call, her face was calm but serious.

“Mrs. Patel worked everything out with Mrs. Daniels.”

June looked up. “Who’s Mrs. Patel?”

"She's the woman everyone calls when a family needs help.”

June frowned. “Why call her?”

Mrs. Alvarez smiled faintly. "Because she has the right connections for times like this." 

***

An hour later, Ms. Daniels arrived. She was not unkind, but she had a strong aura that made June feel even small.

“You’ve done a good job keeping them safe.” she said. “But we have to make other plans.”

June’s chest tightened. “They can just keep staying with me.”

Ms. Daniels shook her head. "I know you've been doing this for five days, but legally, you're still seventeen." 

June stood up so fast her chair scraped the floor. “I’m eighteen in three months.”

“You’re seventeen now.”

The words hit hard.

June was shaking. “You can’t just separate us.”

“We’re trying not to,” Ms. Daniels said carefully. “What about relatives?”

“Relatives?”

“Someone you can stay with.”

 “We don’t have anyone.”

Mrs. Alvarez spoke up. “They can stay with me.”

The room went still.

Ms. Daniels smiled. “You would take them?”

“I have two spare bedrooms,” Mrs. Alvarez said. “ I can keep all three of you together. Mrs. Patel already agreed.”

June looked confused. “You’ve already talked about this?”

Mrs. Alvarez gave a small nod. "Mrs. Patel chairs the county's child welfare advisory board. When she asks people to find a way to keep children together, they listen." 

June blinked.

***

Later, when the children were settled. June sat on the porch swing with Mrs. Alvarez. Evening was falling softly around them. Inside, Ava was singing to herself while Eli watched a video on Mrs. Patel’s tablet.

June stared at her hands. “I thought I could hold everything together.”

Mrs. Alvarez looked out into the yard.  “Maybe you could’ve, for a little while.”

June gave a tired little smile.

Mrs. Alvarez leaned back against the swing. “Your mother is not beyond hope.”

June looked at her sharply. “You say that like you know her.”

“I  know she’s been trying.”

June swallowed. “Trying isn’t enough.”

"No. But it matters."  

Mrs. Alvarez nodded slowly. “My brother battled addiction for years. Our church stayed with him until he found his footing." 

June looked at her. “He got better?”

“He did.” Mrs. Alvarez said. 

June stared out at the darkening yard. “I’m tired of being the only adult.”

Mrs. Alvarez turned to her. “Then stop being the only one.”

***

The next morning, June's phone buzzed. 

She answered with a shaky hand.

“June?”

The voice on the other end was her mother’s.

Tanya was crying before June could even speak.

“Mom?”

“I’m sorry,” Tanya whispered. “I’m so sorry.”

June closed her eyes. “Where are you?”

“At the treatment center.”

June’s knees weakened, and she sat down hard on the bed.

“I was so afraid,” Tanya said. “I thought if I came home like that, you’d all be done with me.”

June swallowed the ache in her throat. “No. Never.”

There was a long silence. Then Tanya said, “Tell Eli and Ava I love them. Tell them I’m trying.”

June’s eyes burned. “You have to do more than try, Mom.”

“I know.”

And for once, Tanya didn’t make excuses. She didn’t ask June to fix anything. She simply stayed on the line and cried and listened while June cried too.

Recovery wasn't quick, but this time Tanya didn't face it alone. The church stepped in where the family couldn't, giving them room to heal together. 

On her eighteenth birthday, Tanya was there—thin, sober, and nervous, but present.

She held June’s face in both hands. “You saved your brother and sister,” she whispered.

June shook her head. “We saved each other.”

***

For five days, June had feared the knock at the door. She thought it would be the sound of losing everything.

Instead, it became the moment God answered her family's prayers—not with thunder or fanfare, but with a neighbor carrying a casserole dish and a heart that refused to walk away.


🕊️ An Echoes of Faith Story
Sometimes the knock we fear most is the one God uses to send help.

Discover More:

Note: The story above is a work of fiction created for inspirational purposes. Any resemblance to actual individuals or events is purely coincidental.

Enjoy more heartfelt stories from the Echoes of Faith collection—each one crafted to uplift, inspire, and reflect God's presence in everyday life. Read more stories »

☕ If our devotionals and stories have blessed your heart, you can treat us to a cup of coffee through PayPal or visit the Faithfully Encourage Shop for notebooks, mugs, and candles inspired by everyday faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment