![]() |
| Ruth in Boaz Field |
My name is Dalia, and I've spent more harvests in the fields of Bethlehem than I care to count.
You learn a few things after that many seasons.
Who works.
Who complains.
Who shares what little they have.
And every once in a while...you witness something you'll spend the rest of your life talking about.
For me, that day began when Ruth came to glean in Boaz's field.
——— ✦ ———
She came with Naomi, the older woman with the tired eyes and the sharp tongue. The two of them arrived in town like a storm had blown them in from somewhere far away, and in a way, it had. Ruth was the Moabite daughter-in-law, the one who had left her own people to stay with Naomi when everything in their lives had gone sideways.
I remember the first morning she stepped into the field where I was gleaning.
She did not look like someone expecting special treatment. She looked like someone who had already decided she would do whatever hard thing needed doing and complain later if there was time.
“Are you Dalia?” she asked me.
I blinked. “I am.”
“I’m Ruth,” she said. “Naomi said you might know which edges of the field are safest to start in.”
Safest. That word alone told me a great deal.
People like to think gleaning is simple. It is not. It means bending all day under the sun, picking up what the reapers leave behind, and praying your hands are quick enough and your strength is enough and your dignity survives the whole thing. Some women laughed while they worked. Some groaned. Some kept one eye on the overseer and one eye on the next patch of grain.
Ruth? She just kept moving.
She worked as if she had made a bargain with the day and intended to keep her side of it. Not once did she ask for pity. Not once did she act as if her trouble made her important. She bowed her head, gathered what she could, and carried it in her basket as if she had always belonged among the poor and hardworking.
By midday, the sun was fierce enough to make everybody mean.
I found Ruth near the far end of the field, carefully gathering stalks with her fingers.
“You ought to rest,” I told her.
She gave me a tired little smile. “I can rest when the work is done.”
I snorted. “Then you’ll never rest.”
That made her laugh, and I was surprised by how quick and light it sounded. There was grief in her face, yes, but there was something else too. Something steady. Something stubborn in the best possible way.
Then Boaz came.
Now, if you had asked the women in Bethlehem who Boaz was, they would have given you a different answer depending on whether they liked him. Some said he was wealthy. Some said he was honorable. Some said he was too generous and would ruin us all by making kindness look easy.
I thought he was all of those things.
He came into the field with the assurance of a man who knew exactly where he belonged, but he did not walk like a king. He walked like a man who understood work. He greeted his reapers, asked after them, and spoke with a voice that carried warmth without weakness.
“The Lord be with you,” he said.
“And the Lord bless you,” they answered.
Then his eyes landed on Ruth.
Now, I may not be the sharpest stone in the road, but even I noticed it.
He looked twice.
Not in a rude way. In a careful way. The way a man looks when he has seen something unexpected and realizes it matters.
Boaz turned to his overseer. “Whose young woman is that?”
I nearly choked on a husk.
Whose young woman? I had to bite my lip to keep from smiling. Ruth had that same expression that people wear when they’ve been noticed after trying very hard not to be noticed at all.
The overseer answered, “She is the Moabite woman who came back with Naomi. She asked permission to glean, and she has been here from morning until now.”
Boaz nodded slowly and walked toward her.

No comments:
Post a Comment